Church and Patronage in 20th Century Britain Walter Hussey and the Arts / by Peter Webster.
Webster, Peter. (författare)
SpringerLink (Online service)
- ISBN 9781137369109
- Publicerad: London : Palgrave Macmillan UK : 2017
- Engelska XII, 256 p. 19 illus., 7 illus. in color.
Serie: Histories of the Sacred and Secular, 1700-2000
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Chapter 1. Introduction -- Chapter 2. The formation of a patron -- Chapter 3. The 1943 Jubilee festival at Northampton -- Chapter 4. Music, art and poetry: 1944-55 -- Chapter 5: The religious arts on a rising tide: people, media, networks -- Chapter 6: new visual art for Chichester -- Chapter 7: Chichester music -- Chapter 8: Cathedral, city and diocese -- Chapter 9: Legacy.
- This book is the first full-length treatment of Walter Hussey's work as a patron between 1943 and 1978, first for the Anglican parish church of St Matthew in Northampton, and then at Chichester Cathedral. He was responsible for the most significant sequence of works of art commissioned for the British churches in the twentieth century. They included music by Benjamin Britten, Leonard Bernstein and William Walton, visual art by Henry Moore, Graham Sutherland and Marc Chagall, and poetry by W. H. Auden. Placing Hussey in theological context and in a period of rapid cultural change, it explores the making and reception of the commissions, and the longer-term influence of his work, still felt today. As well as contributing to the religious and cultural history of Britain, and of Anglo-Catholicism and the cathedrals in particular, the book will be of interest to all those concerned with the relationship between theology and the arts, and to historians of music and the visual arts.
- History. (LCSH)
- History, Modern. (LCSH)
- Religion -- History. (LCSH)
- Great Britain -- History. (LCSH)
- Civilization -- History. (LCSH)
- Literature -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- History of Britain and Ireland.
- History of Religion.
- Cultural History.
- Modern History.
- Literary History.
- DA1-DA995 (LCC)
- HIS015000 (ämneskategori)
- 941 (DDC)
- Ke (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.